Distance & Friendships

Yesterday evening, I asked my niece about a certain friend of hers. She had not spoken about that friend in a long while. So I asked her if they were still friends and played together. She told yes but not like they used to. I wanted to know why as I inquired more.

 She said they were no longer seat partners as they were now far from each other in class.
And the only time they played together was after school which was also limited as no sooner than they closed, their parents would come to pick them.
Then it struck me; we lose friendships, relationships to distance.

 Distance creates a vacuum and tries to separate us but we must try not lose our grip on the ropes of friendship that binds us.

My niece still tries to keep that friendship alive by checking on her friend at the close of school. Maybe they share their snacks together or help out with each others assignments or even wave goodbyes shyly. The crux is that the friendship they share still has its flames burning bright.
We too can do that to our friends who might be scattered across the world.
A simple text or a quick short call will keep the flames of our friendships burning.

(C) Francisca Okwulehie.

Comments

Popular Posts