5 Things Every Chief Bridesmaid Should Know.

The wedding day is a dream day for every girl. The desire to be a bride is usually surreal. Another role every girl looks forward to at a wedding is the honour of being a Chief Bridesmaid.


The Chief Bridesmaid role is such an honourable duty that most girls never forget in a hurry.

It was the case when my dearest friend, Tolu contacted me early May 2019 to inform me I was going to be her Chief Bridesmaid in October 2019.
Never in my wildest dreams did I think I was going to be a Chief Bridesmaid as I knew it usually came with a lot of glitz, fuss and stress.

However, I could not refuse my darling friend such a dutiful role. While I looked forward to the D-day I also learnt a few important things every girl should prepare for if appointed as an Honourable Chief Bridesmaid. (Laughs!)

These are five things I learnt as a Chief Bridesmaid.

1. You are the Bride's Chief Maid.

Yes! You are the bride's chief maid. This means you are practically going to be at her beck and call the whole day. From the church to the reception till the couple's final dance. You will be in charge of holding the bride's glorious wedding gown tail at every time she needs to move. You would guard the tail of her dress from mud, dusty floor or spilled drink on the floor.
You will need to observe when the bride needs to have a seat, so you can gently lift her generous veil so she does not seat on it.
You will need to keep a close eye on the bride's personal effects like her phone and purse. Dear bridesmaid you will be in charge of wiping sweat off the bride's face so her makeup does not get ruined before the next touch up at the reception.



2. You are a Marriage Witness.

In all of the glamour and excitement, it never crossed my mind I would be signing the dotted lines for my dearest friend as a marriage witness. I mean no one told me this part, but it was beautiful to be a part of that delicate process of the ceremony. I came to appreciate the institution of marriage so much more. And signing as a witness to their marriage was so effortless as I had come with best wishes and great intentions for the couple.
So dear intending, Chief Bridesmaid, you must come with lots of joy and prayers for the couple.

3. You are the Bride's Encourager.

A lot of things can go right, a number of things can go wrong on the wedding day, so much to make the bride unhappy.
 Dear Chief Bridesmaid, this is where you come in. You must assume the position of her encourager. You should give her many reasons to smile and remain positive that her big day will be as beautiful as she had envisaged from the start.
This is not the time to remind her about wrong decor, or the friend who didn't show up to the church.
No! This is the time to radiate positivity around her. Tell her why it matters that she keeps a broad smile on her face till the day ends except she wants an awful looking picture, good for memes.

(The Bride and Myself at the Traditional Wedding.)

4. You must be Patient.

Dear Chief Bridesmaid, your patience will be tested. I literally mean you may almost loose it if you are very sensitive to spoken words or actions. Why so you may ask? It's a bubbly gathering of not only your dear friend getting married but her family, extended family and in-laws inclusive. There is the tendency that emotions and temper will flare and some of that negative energy will hit you like a stray bullet. You will have only one response and this will be to not react to anything that's said or done to you in that moment. This is because, you do not want to be remembered as the "Chief Bridesmaid who ruined her friend's wedding." Even if you don't get a thank you for being a good Chief Bridesmaid still be of good cheer, be patient.


5. You should have fun too.

In the midst of being the Chief Bridesmaid, you should know it's okay to have a good time too at the wedding. Take pictures, chat with the rest of the bridal party, dance till your feet aches and leave the event with the knowing satisfaction of a friend who made sure her best friend's wedding was the fairytale she always dreamed.



Spoiler: I had lots of fun at the T&S Wedding. I took pretty pictures and had a great time dancing.

 I hope you learnt a thing or two from this post. I would love to hear your comments about been a Chief Bridesmaid.

Comments

  1. I have never been a bridesmaid, this was very helpful. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found it helpful. You are welcome.

      Delete
  2. I have never been a bride's maid, but with this post, i am looking forward to be one some day. Thanks for this ma'am.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts