PART 2 The Proposal


So I arrive the venue right on time, confirmed I was on the registration list and was shown my seat by an amiable well dressed usher. I took the warm comfortable seat not far from the exit as I hoped to leave on time if the event tarried more than it had been scheduled to last on the invitation.

Turning behind I chose to take in a full picture of my surrounding to suck up the warmth of the atmosphere and as I turned back to face front. This fair complexioned young man was seated in the seat before me.
“Hi” He said in a very soft raspy voice.
“Hi” That was my reply after I had fully collected myself.
“My name is Oyinna Eluwa.” He introduced himself with a cheerful countenance leaving me wondering what this introduction was about to stir.
“I am Nwakaego Nwachukwu.” I said asserting a don’t mess with me kind of tone.
“You have such a beautiful name.”

He complimented and just then he stood to come over to where I sat and my ever sensitive nose caught the whiff of his perfume. It was a very desirable smell very alluring. For someone like me who respected people who smelt good and seemed to take proper attention and care to their appearance, my defenses against this lad came crumbling like the biblical walls of Jericho.

 He was seated next to me and we began talking, chatting as though we knew ourselves from a time which never existed. We exchanged numbers and became friends, friends not lovers.
We seemed to have similar interests and yes it was so easy for us to relate as if we were dating or having something going on which was much more than friendship. He was aware I was in love with someone else who jilted me, yet he never came out to say he liked me.

Not until that breezy Saturday evening in July when we went to see a movie together. We were at the bush bar waiting for our order of spiced grilled fish when he began to ask many indirect questions.

Part2. Continued...

The Proposal
(C) Francisca Okwulehie 2017

Comments

Popular Posts