The Proposal (1)






Oyinna asked me to marry him. He is Pentecostal and I am Anglican. Mama has said many times that I marry an Anglican, so has the Most. Venerable John implored of me too. 

Uncle Ejike says "a woman has no church", it does not matter what the religion of her suitor be. So If I marry whoever it maybe then I will shed my church for this person’s place of worship.
Adanne had asked, “Do you love Oyinna?” I had been lost in thought, but was brought back by that starling question. 
I genuinely did not have a direct answer to that interrogation. I would not describe what I feel towards Oyinna as love. It is a certain kind of likeness; call it brotherly care or sisterly concern, but it would be wrong to say it is love. It is not love, it cannot be love. I thought people said that love means gazing into the eyes of your lover till you see butterflies swirl past and thunderstorms strike their amorous lightning. 

Some also say love is recognizing this person is meant for you as though a part of yourself has being entwined with this person’s soul. But you see I do not see these abstract constructions, these vague nuances. I do not see any of them. I only see Oyinna as a friend. At least that’s what he has come to be these few months we became acquainted.

The first time we met had been at a conference. I recall I had struggled with doubts to attend the event. I stumbled upon the invitation as Jessica my best friend had shared it on Facebook. I registered online for it and that Wednesday of the conference, I complacently got dressed to attend .

 At some point I got discouraged when I asked myself why I had to go. It was a conference for entrepreneurs with the theme:  "Entrepreneurship for sustainability while creating effective leadership", the long theme made Mama frown when I told her a day before that I had planned to attend the event. Being one of my biggest fans she still urged me to make it to the event, if not for anything to network and forge new connections. 

Part 1. To be continued.

The Proposal.
(C) Francisca Okwulehie 2017

Comments

Popular Posts