FINAL PART : The Proposal


A few minutes after introductions were made and pleasantries were exchanged, a saxophonist walked in and began to play a popular Kenny G tune, he continued to play as Oyinna stood from his seat walked up to me where I sat and asked that I have a dance with him. I resisted at first, yet he implored further and with encouragement from all at the table, I obliged as he held my hands while we waltzed softly to the tune that was on.

The lights in the restaurant went off and the chandeliers in the room let of tiny crystal like lights that gave off a romantic atmosphere. At that moment Oyinna had gotten down on one knee and immediately the light came on.

Before me glinting in the bright lights of the restaurant was a beautifully carved diamond ring sitting gorgeously in a cute little box. It was a very pretty ring that glimmered enchantingly and then he asked.

“Nwakaego Nwachukwu will you marry me?”

This had to be a joke, the biggest joke of the century, how and why would he try this stunt. I could hear everyone chorus, “Say Yes” even the waitress with the bitch resting face refrained.

Oyinna looked scared yet confident, but I gazed into his brown eyes not seeing shooting stars or flying chariots, not feeling scared, not confident if it was the right thing to do I said no.

THE END
The Proposal
(C) Francisca Okwulehie 2017

Comments

Popular Posts