PART 3; The Proposal


“If your boyfriend wanted to propose to you would you like a private or public proposal?”

 He asked coolly. I was not thinking underneath or above the question when I returned a direct reply.

“Of course it has to be a public proposal. Come on, it may not be on the streets, or in traffic, it could be in a mall, in a cinema or at a dinner where all my very close friends and family members may be present.” I reeled off innocently excited at the thought of what I wished and desired would someday happen to me with whoever I would end up with. I never knew Oyinna was already building castles in the sky; he had inquired to plan a public proposal for me, me, Nwakaego who was never his girlfriend in the real sense of the word. I, Nwakaego who he had never as much shared a kiss with.

 Oyinna is responsible like that, very calm and collected. He had become endeared to Mama the first time he came to visit when he learnt I had been ill. The first day she saw him she had called him Onyiocham, saying he was her own white man. After that visit he became a regular guest in the house.

He was always welcome as Mama would many times go out of her way to prepare African salad for him. When she learnt that he owned a farm and ran a company she was overwhelmed. He was only twenty seven but had achieved what many forty year old aspired to. So I know why it was not impossible to get her out to the dinner he hosted on my birthday, a dinner I never knew was planned for me.

Part3. Continued..
The Proposal
(C) Francisca Okwulehie 2017

Comments

Popular Posts